Profile R&D Materials Scientist / Engineer
Are you an R&D Materials Scientist / Engineer with experience as an independent researcher? Can you switch quickly, and do you enjoy varied activities? Are you also strong in oral and written communication in English? Then this job, at a small growing organization, where excellence is strived for, standing still is not an option and in which you get a lot of freedom to shape the position, may be something for you.
Okay, we may be asking a lot, but it indicates that there is plenty to do. You do not have to be a star in everything, but within our hectic, fast-growing organization you know how to stand your ground.
What do you do at Flexiramics?
The R&D Materials Scientist / Engineer will provide support or lead research projects in the broadest sense of the word. She/he will work closely together with other lab and team members to optimize and apply, develop and refine methods related to our platform technology, Flexiramics®. An important focal point for this role will be working on development of practical applications for customers and hence experience in working with a team of suppliers and/or customers is a must. In addition, we will also ask you to help in facilitating day to day activities of the business.
What do you bring to Flexiramics from a theoretical perspective?
- Strong material science background, with focus on:
- application development by linking materials characteristics to application requirements;
- developing material fabrication methods, including lab prototype setups;
- Knowledge of and experience in one or more of the following fields of expertise:
- polymer processing (preferably polyimides);
- electronic materials;
- composites and/or microfabrication;
- Basic knowledge of various characterization techniques;
- A critical look (not only on our own results, but also on the results of others);
- You can provide ideas and are able to participate in problem solving. Furthermore you are a creative thinker that can identify a wide range of possibilities to “make a project work”.
What do you bring to Flexiramics from a practical perspective?
- Knowledge of the best (safe) practices in the lab / the ability to apply safe working principles in a laboratory/small production environment;
- The ability to bridge theory to practice;
- Bringing Design of Experiments into use would be considered a real benefit;
- You are precise, pay attention to details and work accurately;
- You work independently / have the ability to independently run a customer project (i.e. plan/execute/report).
What do you bring to Flexiramics from a soft skill perspective?
- Team player (share expertise with and willing to learn from others);
- Flexible attitude, learning fast, fitting with life in a start/scale up (i.e. sometimes run very fast vs. supporting to general business until a project starts);
- Self-starter: look for things that can be done.
Flexiramics is a young business spun-off from MESA+ Institute for nanotechnology. Now existing for 5 years we are reaching a critical point in further developing our technology for small-scale production enabling final product development for at least 2 applications. Flexiramics’ core competency is in the making flexible ceramic nanofibers. Together with our engineering partners we are working hard on scaling to first production and together with our customers we co-develop products for final applications.
What can you expect from Flexiramics?
- Learn from professionals and train our employees with less experience in your fields of expertise;
- A lot of freedom in shaping a project as you feel necessary to bring it to success subject to meeting our business goals;
- An informal working environment with a healthy degree of flexibility to balance work and life;
- Compensation fitting your expertise and experience complemented with business goals related potential to grow;
- 25 vacation days, with room to freely plan these days;
- Flexible working days, we are concerned about output not with working hours.
Interest and application procedure
Flexiramics has engaged Tjellens exclusively as a recruitment partner for this position.
Tjellens takes care of the pre-selection and initial interviews, in case of proven suitability you will be directly employed by Flexiramics. An assessment or test case can be part of this selection procedure. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call, Bob van den Berg (Senior Recruiter) 0642107944 will be happy to help you.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is expressly appreciated if you are open to margin sharing. Feel free to give me a call in that situation.